This program is our school-wide discipline plan. It is based on PBIS (Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports) and rewards students for demonstrating expected behaviors. Our goal is to focus on positive choices and provide a safe learning environment for all students. We will follow three basic school- wide policies:
Be safe; be respectful; and be responsible.
All children will learn these expected behaviors. Each day we will say the Model Gryphon Pledge to remind us to always do our best!
Morgan Kincaid Gryphon Pledge
As a Morgan Kincaid model student, I pledge to:
Respect myself and others
Accept responsibility for my actions and words
Be safe at all times
Accelerated Reader (AR) is a school wide reading program which assesses students’ comprehension of leveled reading books.
Yearly goals are set for each grade level, which is then divided into trimester goals. Students may take AR tests in the library or in the classroom; each teacher has a schedule for AR testing.
Students may be eligible for AR Rewards based on their attainment of trimester goals, including lunch with the principal.
Lunch with the principal is a lunch given at the end of each trimester to celebrate students who have made their yearly AR goal.
Students who make their yearly goal at first trimester may double or triple their yearly goal in order to attend the lunch celebration during the second and third trimesters.
The end of the year goal for K is 5 points, 1st -15 points, 2nd -25 points, 3rd - 40 points, 4th - 50 points, 5th - 60 points, 6th - 70 points.
Families may access AR book titles on line at www.renlearn.com.
We are proud to announce that Morgan Kincaid Elementary has been chosen to become an AVID Elementary School. AVID stands for Advancement Via Individual Determination and its programs can be found in many of Adelanto Elementary School District’s schools, Morgan Kincaid’s AVID team mission is to close the achievement gap by preparing all students for college readiness and success in a global society.
AVID Elementary promotes student success by implementing specific skills that enable all students to be prepared and organized. These skills are habits, behaviors, and strategies that students can learn, strengthen, and maintain throughout their academic careers. AVID supports students in learning how to “do” school. By using these skills daily, students become proactive learners who take responsibility for their learning..
AVID Elementary ensures all students will:
- Experience Writing to learn, Inquiry, Collaboration, Organization, and Reading to learn skills (WICOR Lesson Framework)
- Utilize organizational skills both inside and outside the classroom
- Develop student success skills for lifelong learning
- Successfully make the transition to middle school and courses of high rigor
AVID Elementary classrooms encourage:
- Organizational tool accountability and responsibility
- Use of agenda/planner to foster a “plan-ahead” mentality
- SMART goal-setting skills
- Time management skills
- Note-taking strategies (STAR)
- Inquiry method
- Collaborative learning
- Effective reading strategies for comprehension
- Building community with open communication
- Our purpose is for our students to learn the importance of giving back.
- They will learn the impact they can make through giving their time and service to others.
- They will discover that small hands and big hearts can make a world of difference!